Sunday, March 7, 2010

Slow Going

Still working on my reemergence, and it's still going slowly. I've let go of the notion that I need to resurface with a lot of material all at once, and just put things online in bits and pieces and let it grow over time.

And so, I did the same ill-advised thing most people do, even though I know better: I worked on the cosmetics (look-and-feel) while procrastinating on the important things (content). The result: a basic template with a clean, reserved design. Just enough attention to avoid looking sloppy, not so much as to be overbearing and narcissistic. It seems too conservative, too "not enough" - but then, I prefer that to the opposite extreme.

I'm still working, mostly behind-the-scenes, on getting content together. So far, I've come up with three kinds of content I'd feel OK with having online under my own name:
  • Pedestrian Studies - My reading notes and research on boring topics like marketing, strategy, operations, management, and such
  • WebDev Resources - Various resources for Web development on the LAMP platform, which I did for a decade or so
  • PERL Scripts - A fair collection of scripts that I wrote over the years, that I feel I could put online so people can steal and adapt my code (the way I did with other peoples' code when I was learning the ropes)
  • Random Crap - The various goofy little self-contained things that I've put together, either for my own amusement or as finger-exercises.
The task of rounding it up, sanding off the rust, and getting it ready to put back online has turned out to be much more than I expected. It may be realistic to predict I could have enough to go online by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment