Thursday, June 10, 2010

Media and Cultural Theory

I've added reading notes on Media and Cultural Theory, a booklet that took rather a ramble through history, extracting random snippets of what various philosophers had to say about the topic of media. I had hoped for a better orchestrated treatment of the topic, but the authors merely skimmed the surface, picking up superficial bits of lint, and ran out of steam about halfway through.

Even so, it's interesting to consider what some of the historical schools of philosophy had to say on the topic of the media, especially since many of their sentiments have echoed forward through the ages: much of what was originally said about the printing press is echoed in present arguments about the Internet.

All in all, I don't think I gained any practical knowledge, but found a few things that I can ponder, and have a bit of direction for seeking more extensive information from the original sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment