Friday, May 13, 2016

Overserved and Irritated

I had another unfortunate customer experience that set my mind in motion: I went to a store to buy an item, knowing exactly what I needed and exactly where it was located, and was stopped on my way four times by employees asking me if I needed their help.   I didn’t need their help and was becoming increasingly vexed by their constant interruptions – and probably overly so because I was on my lunch break and needed to make the purchase quickly and get back to the office and felt they were slowing me down.

My sense was that they must have had an employee meeting that morning, where the manager stressed the importance of being helpful to customers – that, or the store had a shoplifting problem and the managers knew that offering to help is a subtle way of letting people know they’re being watched – and though this made it a little more understandable, it was no less vexatious to be constantly interrupted while performing a task with unsolicited and unnecessary offers of help.

This irritation lingered after I returned to the office to participate in a design session, in which a group of people (most of whom weren’t designers) were gathered to address a problem with an acquisition flow.  The problem with the flow, which was quite obvious, was a vague and slightly offensive question on the page where there was a high drop-off rate.   Reword the question, provide some in-context assistance, and the problem would likely be resolved.

Unfortunately, this is not what happened: one of the non-designers in the room insisted that the question had to be worded exactly as written for “legal reasons” (in addition to being a non-designer, he as also a non-lawyer, and I’ve never seen a legislation that mandated the exact wording of questions) and that the in-context assistance needed to be displayed for all users, rather than “hidden” behind a help icon.   So everyone who visited the page, even the 70% who would have answered that question without assistance, would have to read a couple of paragraphs before proceeding (or likely, would read two sentences, skip the rest, and ignore any other text presented in the rest of the flow).

Obviously, this was a terrible idea – but the person in question was the fair-haired child of a powerful executive and could do no wrong, so he had to be appeased in spite of the damage it would do.  This happens all too often, and it pains me to inflict bad design on the customers, but in the long run I expect I will be able to fix it, as this solution would not cure the drop-out rate and I will make a case for a better solution in future.   But I digress …

The point is that after having a horrible experience in a retail store with employees whose unsolicited offers of unneeded help were irritating, I returned to the office to find a similar practice taking place in the online channel, and had to swallow that as well.


I’d belabor the point further, but I expect it’s already been made, and going on about it would turn a useful observation into a rant.   Service means helping the customer, but good service means knowing when help is needed and – more to the point – recognizing when help is not needed and staying discreetly out of the customer’s way.

No comments:

Post a Comment