Sunday, March 28, 2010

Logstat: On Hold

I've spent some time this week, perhaps a bit too much of it, attempting to package a utility program for deriving usage statistics from server logs. I was able to publish a code snippet for parsing log lines, but am on the fence whether it's worthwhile to continue working on the analysis program.

There are already a dozen or so log analysis programs written in Perl, so I'm not filling any gap in the market, and my version has, over the course of fifteen years of constant tweaking, become even more bloated than the ones already on the market. In an attempt to be "comprehensive," it presents too much meaningless information, simply because it's there to be analyzed.

So I'm probably going to step back from the task for a while, until I can come back with a hatchet mentality and weed out all the frivolous stuff to make it a very lean tool that produces meaningful information ... if anything, that's what's missing in the "market" right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment